The last ride.....
I purchased my power-assisted e-bike at half off during the first week of October, 2023. This was one of those truly great purchases I've made in my life - I love that bike! During the first year I rode virtually every day. Subsequently, I've been riding either two or three mornings a week - Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Early.....before the idiots of the road wake up to Mad Max drive with reckless abandon and scare the shit out of any sane cyclist. Going on the beach path is wondrous: with the ocean on my right and beach sand both right and left, one realizes how truly insignificant one is in the overall scheme of things.....
And then, Sunday morning, shortly after 8am, someone, out of vision range, lunged at my bike as I rode along Ocean Avenue to the paths. He pulled at the bike with one hand, punched with the other.......I was down....there were witnesses........police and fire department were there within 5 minutes.
Two days in Room 2332, on the Ortho floor where I volunteer. Concussion. Fractured lower right orbital socket.
I'm happy to still be alive......I never want to experience a week like this again. When I started cycling, already 80 years old, I recognized that it would eventually come to an end......the end is now.....no regrets - I'm still a walker!
Comments
Post a Comment